Tuesday 27 November 2012

My 6th Birthday

I wondered in my last posting why I was so well dressed sat in our garden at Jalan Wijaya with my talking tin robot. Then I came across this photo which was obviously been taken on the same day. There's Alan and me with my cake for my 6th birthday and the reason I'm tidier than usual is because everyone was due to come around for my birthday party. There were many kids on the estate and we all went to each other parties. Many of them I didn't even know. We all looked forward to our birthdays and knew that all the other kids would bring presents. I remember one boy brought me an excellent electronic tin car. He was so excited about it that he unwrapped it himself before giving it to me and then we both drove it around the front room!
It's hard to remember much about the day but I remember that we played pass the parcel and mum had bought many toys to wrap up so that everybody got something. I always liked the cheaper toys and I remember being pleased with a Bugs Bunny watch! We also played games like pass the parcel and pinning the tail on the donkey.


The second photo shows us playing in the garden on the same day. This is one of those photos that got lost over the years but I found that I'd once photographed it onto a slide and just discovered it recently. It's not too clear because of this. In it I can recognise my dad, Debbie Sharpe and Ian Bagwell, who lived nearby, as well as my brother. We had another photo of Ian taken just after this one which I can remember but it's long since disappeared.
I've no doubt I had a great day but probably the thing that stayed in my memory the most was playing with that talking tin robot!

1 comment:

  1. Your sixth birthday: exactly one year before I arrived in Yew Lian Park. We spent two years there, my father being a Royal Marine and having been posted to Singapore.

    Your blog brings back many memories. As my mother doesn't do computers, I've ordered a copy of the book for her as a surprise gift.

    ReplyDelete